9.7.17 - Making Gains!

Note: Content reposted from other blog to minimize my internet footprint

Hey Hey!

I feel like this will be a way more optimistic post than last week!  Even though my balances haven't really changed, I have a few irons in the fire that will pay off in the near future!

First and foremost, I realized that I've been a complete fool where my Savings Account is concerned.  I was shopping around for all these savings accounts for the best interest rate, when my primary savings account with my credit union has a 5.12% APY for the first $1000!  That is better than any other account I've seen.  So I switched my Primary to the "real" savings account that I will only deposit and never withdraw from (until I hit $1000.)  The previously named "Don't Touch" account is now my secondary "Floating Savings" account, which is where my deferred rent money will go.

I also reviewed my Fidelity retirement plan.  To be honest, my 401K is pathetic, considering I didn't even start contributing until last year, and I've only contributed 1% (plus a 50% employer match) since then.  I know, I know!  I am fortunate enough to have a bonus and an Employee Stock Option Plan that have been deferred into it.  At any rate, based on my own experiences monitoring the accounts and all the financial advice I've read, my portfolio was grossly imbalanced.  Mine was 35% company stock and 65% Vanguard 2050 Fund.  I have a change pending to switch it to 10% Company and 90% Vanguard.  I've got 33-37 years to watch the trends, and it pays to be more aggressive while I am still young, so we will see! 

In the money-saving world, I made my yearly call to SiriusXM to renew my subscription.  This may be a blog about saving money, but I still consider my satellite radio a necessity, dammit!  They sent me my yearly renewal notice for twice as much as I normally pay, so I had to use my little life hack, which I will now share with you.  Pretty much any time you want to pay less for radio, internet, or cable services, just call them and tell them you need to cancel because you can no longer afford the service.  They will magically come up with a deal for you in order to keep your business.  So I ended up paying the same promotional rate I've been using since I purchased, and I put it on my new AmEx BCP to get closer to my $1k goal!

I'm very happy to announce I managed to sell my Guns 'N Roses tickets for next month!  As soon as they announced another leg of the Not In This Lifetime Tour, I bought two tickets for the Boston show immediately, cost be damned!  After being insanely lucky enough to see them at the special show at the Apollo this summer, I decided two nosebleed tickets were no longer going to cut it for me, and therefore were not worth the money.

What could top this view?!

Fortunately, Ticketmaster not only sells but resells tickets for you!  I sold them both for $238, which should be coming back to me within a week or so.  Believe it or not, I'm still down $4 with this deal, since I paid $242, but as the money was already long spent, I still consider this "free money."  I probably could have charged way more, but I'm not a criminal.  Now let's see if I can resist the urge to spend it on something dumb.

I will be on a business trip and then visiting my family for most of next week, but I will try to make an update when I can!


Stay safe in Hurricane Armageddon!
M

No comments: