Clam Chowdair!

You read that correctly. It's "chowdair" today, not chowdah like before! I was shown this link to try as a new chowder recipe, and since it's from Canada and not New England, I can't call it chowdah today!

This is a chowder recipe served to the Canadian army, and I decided to make it French Canadian (if only in my own silly 'Merican head) by serving the chowdair with croissants. Also, so I could say "chowdair" a lot.

Technically the Daring Baker's Challenge this month is homemade croissants, but I am wayyyyyy too lazy for that. I know that even though the actual work involved is minimal by comparison, and most of it is rise time, I still don't want to take 12 hours to make 12 croissants, when I can go buy them at the store and be back in 20 minutes. Instead, spend 30 minutes watching Julia Child's croissant demonstration while you eat your store-bought ones. C'est magnifique!

Due to the amount of butter in this recipe (an entire stick!), and the use of evaporated milk, it's definitely the most decadent clam chowder I've ever had. Despite the rich taste, it is quick, easy, and very comforting! And you should definitely use real butter, because margarine or some other fake crap in a tub just isn't going to be as awesome!


I never seem to get all the ingredients in the photo because I always add extra stuff!

Clam Chowdair
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 6.5-oz cans minced clams, drained with juice reserved
2+ cups cold water
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon dried thyme
garlic salt, salt, and pepper

In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, combine the butter, celery and onion. Saute for about 3 minutes, add the flour and stir well to make a roux. Add the reserved clam juice to make a paste, then slowly add enough cold water to reach the desired thickness. I used about 2 cups, though next time I might try 3. Whatever your preference, add only about a cup at a time. You can always add more, but you can't take away once it's done!
Add the potatoes, milk, thyme, garlic salt, salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you might dig. Reduce heat to low and allow soup to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add the clams and allow to heat through.




Also, no chowdah/chowdair discussion would be complete without Freddy Quimby demeaning the waiter, as anyone who knows me should expect:




Adapted from Allrecipes!