Ramen 'N Cheese

Don't miss parts One, Two, or Three of Ramen Week!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

I am extremely excited for 2011, because 2010 was the worst year of my life. I will not be doing a "Year in Review" like After The Gold Rush. Even though I thought it was a great idea, the past year is not something I'd like to rehash at length to do the same for my blog. I experienced a lot of sad/stupid/tragic/irritating/lame/expensive bullshit, encompassing every aspect of my life. Though some things were only a minor setback, and though some of the damage caused is irreversible, it has all been a learning experience, for better or worse.

The three of us (Shadow makes three!) are looking ahead with optimism to a better '11! I'd take more time to wax philosophical, but I'm afraid I'm not as good a writer as ATGR! Also, you're here to see ramen!

Ramen 'N Cheese is another simple substitution, but it is supertasty nonetheless! This is prepared in the style of stovetop mac-n-cheese, as opposed to baked. So far, I've gotten good feedback on my new habit of including an ingredients photograph, even if my ingredients are near-empty (I prefer to think of them as lived-in). This practice is something I picked up from the only food blog I read, Crepes of Wrath. Not only is it a great Simpsons reference (I assume is where she got the name), it is a great blog with great food and great photos! So I figured I'd toss her a shout-out here!

Here's whatcha need!


Real butter makes all the difference. In life, the universe, and everything.

3 packages of instant noodles, MSG packet discarded
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1.5 T. flour
3/4 Cups milk
1.5 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. cayenne
salt + pepper

Start the noodles first.

Heat the fats (that would be the oil and butter) over medium heat. When they're all melted together, add the flour, and stir until the flour cooks - about 3 minutes. The idea is to create a roux, but I way overdid the oil/butter mix so it was way too liquidy. Ah well. Extra butter is only a good thing.

Whisk in the milk, and bring to a gentle bubble. Stir in your cheese, and season with the spices. Mix the sauce with the noodles, and enjoy! I love this version of noodles and cheese; the combination of nutmeg and cayenne give it an excellent flavor! Also, it is probably the fastest mac-n-cheese you've ever made (without the help of SeƱor EZ-Mac, of course).


Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray's recipe. Yes, I know. No, don't give me that. She may be annoying as hell, but the woman can make some damn good comfort food. In 30 minutes or less...Also, I promise that is a basil leaf, maaaaaaaaan.

No comments: