Vegetarian Chili


Recipe adapted from The Supermarket Diet Cookbook.

I've officially gotten through the treacle of old backposts and can start fresh! In case you haven't been following my blog religiously until now, I've recently made a minor (though you may disagree) change in my diet: I no longer eat farm animals/birds/other mammals. Some people have asked, "Well, what DO you eat?" Seafood and um, everything else of course!

My reasons are my own and I'm not going to preach about it (except perhaps, the nutritional ramifications, as should be expected from this blog!), and I don't care what anyone else does in their kitchen. Oh yeah, and before you all ask, I'm not forcing Sean to eat this way either, even though he is being supportive. BUT, there will clearly be some changes to the blog material from here on out!

Don't panic, dear readers, everything I post will be an already vegetarian dish, a seafood dish, or an easily-adapted-to-include-meat dish. But best of all, I will still use the Healthy Calendar, and since I'm adapting most of the recipes, I am going to be able to post the recipes and instructions without paranoid fear of plagiarism from transcribing an entire book!

Okay, let's get down to business. This chili recipe has been my favorite recipe for years now, so it only makes sense to kick off the new age of Twirling Towards Freedom with it! You'll never even notice that it's meat-free and ::gasp:: insanely healthy and cheap! Here is my version:

Vegetarian Chili

4 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium butternut squash (2-3 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced/crushed
2 cans crushed tomatoes, low-sodium
3 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced (I use one bell pepper if I forget the chiles)
1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
cayenne pepper
black pepper
chips!

1. In large nonstick soup pot, heat half the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Transfer squash to bowl, set aside.

2. In same pot, heat remaining oil. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder and garlic; cook, stirring, one minute longer.

3. Add tomatoes with their juice, peppers, broth, sugar, and salt - I also give it some cayenne and black pepper; stir and heat to boiling. Stir in beans and squash; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 30 minutes. Serve with chips or whatever you like with your chili!

6 comments:

Tim Chaney said...

I sometimes wonder if the steroids and other crap that animals are fed and vaccinated with have anything to do with the aggressive, ultra violent society we live in today?

I'm not into goat, mushrat, deer or the "Tree Rat," the squirel, possums or any other critters.

This is your blog, I'm going to check it out, meat or not. I also am never interested in cooking shows, it's too much like work ; ) I can check this out when I'm hungry.

I do need to eat more veggies, today we had some pot roast left from lunch that was left over and I helped myself to a little meat and lots of carrots, celery and onions and a couple small red potatoes for my dinner. Rock On!

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

In my opinion, our society isn't ultra violent - except the hellhole corner of the map we live in :) - but I definitely think the shit they put into these animals are causing all sorts of cancers and other diseases.

swampcritter2 said...

Miss Twirling,
I must admit, I read through that recipe twice, and I couldn't find treacle anywhere.
Tim, I've eaten every one of those beasts you mention. Of all of 'em the 'possum was the best. I have a book published in 1970 titled What We Eat Today. The author is of the opinion that supplementing one's diet with wild game will wean us off some of those nasty things that are pumped into domestic animals.

Tim Chaney said...

Critters back Yay! Ya have to remember though critter, even the critters in food chain ingest herbisides and pestisides in the course of feeding on unwashed fruits and vegetables. We're Doomed I tell ya, Doomed~! LoL

Tim Chaney said...

Oh I forgot what I was going to post and got sidetracked by Critters message. Steroids are known to cause cancer. I agree there too.

Tim Chaney said...

Hey! I'm getting hungry over here!