Ham and White Bean Soup & Quick Creamy Cornbread


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

This duet was probably one of our favorite meals so far from the Healthy Calendar, AND one of the most economical!

First, I prepared the cornbread for the oven. I mixed together a box of corn muffin mix, an egg, and the secret ingredient - creamed corn. I dumped that into a pan and baked for half an hourish. Normally I like to make things from scratch, but the keyword of this recipe was "quick", and you can't get much quicker than that!

I started the soup by 'frying' the ham on the bottom of the soup pot. I say 'frying' because I'm not sure what constitutes frying, as I used no butter or spray, but it was definitely sizzling! I honestly could not tell if my slab of ham was cooked or not, so I cooked it for a bit on both sides to be sure. It definitely had a nice smoky smell and taste afterwards!

I chopped the ham and threw it back in the pot with some onion to saute for a few minutes. Then I added two cans of chicken broth, two cans of Great Northern beans, some salt + pepper, and a bay leaf. Then it boiled and simmered until the cornbread was done.

How easy is that??

***

I apologize for not updating very often lately, but I can assure you I've either been working hard or playing XBox360.

Sean just came into the room and asked if I was blogging about the snow plowing, like I said I would. WELL, I AM NOW. Oh my God, is everyone on the Eastern Shore retarded? (Sorry, the new PC term is "Intellectually Disabled" - probably because assholes like me turned "retarded" into derogative slang.)

How can a region be so completely idiotic at everything? I understand we are under-equipped for blizzards and the like, but is that really an excuse to cut every road down to one lane until the snow melts? Sacrificing right turn lanes entirely, or the right AND straight lanes, and using the left turn lane as a free-for-all? Several well-traveled routes (example: route 24) still have gigantic patches of ice splotching them. Maybe we could start plowing this shit into the Wicomico, and reduce the amount of water:HIV ratio in the river. It's time to invest in some new city plows with a real shovel plow and not some cow-catcher attachment (since those just throw everything into the traffic).

TRAFFIC. That's another thing. What the fuck happened in northern Salisbury/lower Delaware today? Because everyone and their brother was traveling southbound on 13 from the Delmar region today this afternoon. It was extreme traffic and congestion on that end, and nearly none on the northbound side. Is everyone out buying last-second Valentine's Day presents or something? My goodness.

5 comments:

afterthegoldrush said...

We are dealing with idiots here. It has taken me twice as long to go the 12 mile/20 minute compute to and fro work. Rtes. 13 and 50 are clean and dry, yet people drive 20 mph as if they were snow/ice covered. IDIOTS!!!

afterthegoldrush said...

That should read commute (and the p is nowhere near the m).

Tim Chaney said...

Do you deliver?

Tim Chaney said...

I think many backwoods people here made the word retarded over used due to semi-family-relationships, in other words, inbred. Beats a goat any day of the week. Baaaa sheep too!

Tim Chaney said...

PS Glad I'm not the only one missing a post here and there, like there isn't enough to do : )