Chicken Breasts with Raspberry Balsamic Glaze & Candied Walnut Salad



All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

I am about to freak out on the indigenous local yokels on this Eastern Shore. They have panicked over this snow so bad, that Giant is literally SOLD OUT of chicken. From the crazed shoppers itching to swipe up the last bit of creamed eels to get them through the night, to the trucks not coming down to the stores to make deliveries, it is just a nightmare. I am in no way blaming local grocery stores for this madness, because I'm sure those employees are hating it even more, but this is just insanity. Maybe I can trek over (next door!) to Cletus and Brandine Del Roy's house and borr-ey two of the thirty pounds of chicken they have stored in the deep freezer. Well, let me write about some of the chicken I made before the Winter Wondarmageddon befell us.

This is probably the fanciest-looking chicken I've ever prepared, but it was extremely easy! I made a glaze out of garlic, sugar-free raspberry preserves, balsamic vinegar, pepper, and salt, and spread half over the chickens. Then I popped the chickens into the oven for half an hour, and poured the rest of the sauce over it. Easy as pie! Chicken pie!

Then I made the salad. Now, the walnuts were supposed to be candied, but I couldn't in good conscious obey that idea. How the hell are sugar-and-butter-coated walnuts good for anybody, much less a diabetic?? I made an executive decision to use the walnuts plain, on the intended bed of shredded carrots and spinach. The walnuts were delicious just as they were, and guilt-free! The dressing was made of red wine vinegar, olive oil, and Dijon mustard. I ended up chopping my chicken and eating it right in the salad, and it was great!

So needless to say, our work schedule has been turned upside down due to this snow, but we're still making it work...kinda. It can't be any worse than the holidays, and we're both still getting proper hours, so yay! I wonder if my class will be cancelled tomorrow night. On one hand, I want to go to class, but on the other hand, I don't want to drive. Eh, it's only Route 50 though, how hard could it be?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

• Smile is the shortest distance between two people.
• Those who are able to control their rage can conquer their most serious enemy.
• Knowledge and skills are tools, the workman is character.
• Being careful in judging an opinion is a sign of wisdom.
• You recognize birds from their singging, you do people from their talks.

Anonymous said...

lol wut

noanonymousguesses said...

Hey Andy,
Is there anything that you don't blog about?
Here's one for your blogroll that you somehow missed:

Life Size Blowup Dolls