Sweet and Sour Pork


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

So we're "snowed in". The plight of being trapped in the building with all my neighbors hasn't been too bad - SO FAR. And if it gets that bad, Sean and I are more than equipped for winter travel, with our respective New England experiences and holier-than-thou attitudes.

Here is some irony: Every panicky idiot in the tri-state area overstocked their fridge like we're expecting a nuclear winter, only to find that all their perishable items are now bad from long power outages!

Ours was out for ten hours, spanning from 3AM to 1PM, and tonight I still totally cooked up some fish that had been hanging out in the fridge the entire time. I ended up psyching myself out and not eating more than two bites, but then I ended up psyching myself back to normal with some redeeming information (but not 'til after I had thrown the fish away!). 'Cause knowledge is power!

Sean and I spent our power outage sleeping, looking out the window, playing handheld video games, having meaningful conversation, and ruminating on just how bad we needed showers. We also have a gas range, so we made eggs for breakfast, and heated a pot of coffee on the stove. Survival skills!

***

So, this dish was something I threw together rather quickly before class one night. This was my first attempt at making my own Chinese food, and it turned out really well!

First, I mixed my sauce, made of store-bought sweet and sour sauce and chicken broth. I sprinkled the pork cubes with pepper and sauteed them in some olive oil. I stuck those to the side and sauteed the green pepper for a bit, then returned the pork to the dish, along with some pineapple! I poured the sauce into the pan and simmered for a few minutes. I threw this all over some rice, stuffed my face, and ran to class!

Good luck in the weather, everyone!

No comments: