Tangy Apricot-Glazed Pork Tenderloin & Lucky Black-Eyed Peas



All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

So it turns out that the book gave us a New Year's meal after all, complete with (apparently) lucky black-eyed peas! I'd never observed this New Year tradition before, but as far as lucky superstitions go, this world needs all the help it can get!

This dinner was also special because of a guest star, my Dad and local blogger, winner of monoblogue's "Best Local Blog Contest", afterthegoldrush2!


Hungry Dad!

We had a small issue surrounding my oven being junk, but once that was taken care of, dinner was great! The pork was tangy and apricot-glazed, as promised, and the black-eyed peas were spicy and delicious! We also had a really nice Waldorf-esque salad, courtesy of my boyfriend, Sean!


Way delicious!

So I started with a glaze for the pork, by simmering together sugar-free apricot preserves, apple cider vinegar, sage, basil, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. I slapped it onto the piggie and threw it in the oven for a while. It came out tasty as expected!

For the peas, I sauteed a green pepper and added some garlic later. Then I threw in the peas and red pepper flakes for a zing(!) and sauteed a while longer. They were AWESOMEEEE. These were so good I could barely pry my Dad's mitts off the bowl so I could have my own third helping of them. :P

I didn't get a good description-worthy look at Sean during his salad process, but it definitely came out delicious! It was made of celery, apples, walnuts, and pecans over romaine lettuce, with a dressing comprised of a dash of just about everything in our condiment collection. I know he used probably five different vinegars, honey, and God knows what else. Whatever he did, we all loved it!

3 comments:

afterthegoldrush said...

Let's see. I think that I had 4 helpings of black-eyed peas, 3 helpings of salad and 2 helpings of pork. One would think that I never eat. And by the looks of my picture, that would be an honest assumption.
P.S.-I had the nerve to ask for dessert.

Tim Chaney said...

OMG who's the guy with the knife and fork? Is he having a friends liver with some Fava beans?

Dang food looks so good I feel full and feel the need for a cigarette. NOW see what you have done ; )

afterthegoldrush said...

You would have to go out on the deck, as this is a SMOKE FREE ZONE.