Salmon with Citrus Sauce & Artichoke Salad


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

I apologize for this being slightly out of focus - I am still learning the tricks of the trade with this new camera. I also have bad eyesight, so the camera thumbnails don't really help me that much whilst I am photographing.

Even though it is slightly out of focus, I think the deliciousness is still highly visible!! This dish got rave reviews in my house, as exemplified by Sean wolfing down the entire batch of the artichoke salad after our first initial helpings.

This dish was incredibly easy!! I seasoned the salmon filets with extreme amounts of pepper and popped them in the oven. Meanwhile, I prepared the artichoke salad and boiled the citrus sauce for the fish. The white stuff on the salmon is the fat (my educated guess) that rose to the top during baking; the citrus sauce was clear. The sauce had Asian tones, the ingredients being orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper flakes for a zing! It complimented the salmon very well.

The salad was very simple too as you can probably see! I made this with artichoke hearts, black olives, tomato and onion, with a dressing of red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper. I think it would be a great thing to serve to a crowd, especially in the summertime.

I found this really great salmon at Giant by a brand whose name escapes me (I'm going to buy something else from them later tonight so I'll let you all know!). They keep this brand in the freezer next to the seafood section with the frozen shrimp, etc. They sell two filets of various fish (salmon, tilapia, cod, ahi, etc) in a nice colorful packaging, and I will be buying all my applicable fish filets from there in the future, especially after my infamous fresh fish ordeal a few months ago. Unless I'm eating sushi, fresh fish is not that impressive to me, and far less trustworthy in my opinion. By the way, this was wild Alaskan salmon; Atlantic and/or farm-raised salmon are worthless and unhealthy as they pump the salmon full of garbage to fatten them up. You are also less likely to catch parasites or disease from wild Alaskan.

I don't know if eating an entire bowl of artichoke salad is that healthy, but this was a great starch-free meal that left us full! Salmon is chock-full of omega-3, which is a healthy kind of fat that is good for the heart and brain!

3 comments:

Tim Chaney said...

Oh yeah

afterthegoldrush said...

I could have made a meal out of that artichoke salad myself. I have been known to eat an entire jar of marinaded artichokes in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Tim Chaney said...

I like to stuff artichoke hearts with crab and cheese, bread them lightly, fry them and serve with a light dijon sauce and reduced heavy cream on top. Sprinkle some alphafa sprouts around. Makes a decident appetizer.

Definately not a diet recipe though :O I have to agree that salad looks like a good meal!