Manicotti


All recipes are part of my Healthy Calendar adventure!.

Manicotti. Must be Italian for "pain in the ass".

Seriously though, this was delicious. But, seriously though, this was a pain in the ass to make. You have to boil the noodles, make the filling, fill the noodles with the filling, arrange and construct this masterpiece in a baking dish with your sauce, (the sauce was easy, one can of marinara on the bottom and one on the top!), and top with cheese. And then, THEN, you may bake for an hour.

I exaggerate, I mean this was in no way difficult; the only tedious and frustrating part was shoving the filling into the flimsy noodles. But I would say it took roughly two hours from setting out my ingredients to eating the manicotti, and I spent half of that working!

Like I said, this was wonderful, but not something I would make again for a while. I would probably make this if I were feeding a crowd, because it yields a lot and is economical. I can think of many things a lot more impressive, time-efficient, and aesthetically pleasing though. (I took about six pictures, and ^that^ was the best.)

But it was delicious, and since there's only two of us, it lasted a while, which made the time spent worth it. I added spinach to the ricotta/mozz/parm/parsley/egg filling, which made it more delicious and more vitamin-rich!

Buon appetito!

4 comments:

afterthegoldrush said...

When is dear old Dad going to get an invite for some delicious recipes. I would even pose for a pic (as long as you got my good side-if there is one).

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

Haha, everyone is asking me this lately! My food pics must be somewhat decent then! I'll get in touch with you.

Tim Chaney said...

You don't have to cook the noodles until they are done. What I do is cook them until they are still in mostly a solid form. Less cooked than el'dente.

It helps in the process of filling them, then water down the sauce a little bit and put them in the oven to soak up some of the sauce and finish cooking. Covering for a little while of course.

Covered they will steam and finish cooking. Not that your dish doesn't look great and I know it has to taste great. Just makes the filling a bit easier! Bona petite : )

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

Oh, okay, that makes sense! Thank you for the tip! :)