Pork Loin with Dried Plums & Garlic Olive Oil Potatoes


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

I'm really dating myself and my upkeep failure with this blog by admitting this, but here was our New Year's dinner!

The pork loin was quite tasty, but kind of a trial. I was instructed to cut slits in the sides of this thing, and then stuff prunes inside. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, no. Maybe if I stuffed the loin while it was on the baking sheet ready to go, but instead I was really supposed to first saute all sides of the prune-stuffed loin in a too-small pan. Most of them fell out during that debacle, so I just stuck them on top for the baking process!

The pork tasted good - a little too salty - but I think that might have been due to the fact that all I could find was a pre-flavored Golden Rotisserie porkloin of accurate size and decent price. I didn't attempt to wash the original flavor off the meat, and I know darn well I didn't oversalt this thing!

The intended glaze of chopped prunes, honey, and balsamic vinegar smelled and tasted like death at first, but Sean bailed me out and created something palatable out of it. Don't fret, dear readers, I obtained a little gem for Christmas called The Flavor Bible, which is already teaching me how to think for myself in the kitchen! And no, the irony is not lost on me...

Anyway, it's a great book to teach both professional chefs and amateur home chefs about flavor balances and lesser-known (as well as greater-known) successful flavor combinations, the idea being that you can create your own divine meals without following a cookbook word for word. I haven't gotten too far yet, but I'll keep you posted!

On to the side dish! The red potatoes were tossed in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic, and baked for half an hour. Result: Heaven. And that's all I have to say about that. As ending filler, I shall now present our New Year's fancy table setting!

No comments: