Chicken Sausage Gumbo


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

This was an absolutely delicious gumbo! I'm not sure if this is considered Creole or Cajun gumbo, so I'll just cover my bases and call it awesome Louisiananananan! Either way, it was spicy and fantastic!

I started off with onions, celery, and green peppers (which, according to Wikipedia, is the "holy trinity" of vegetables for gumbo) and added some turkey sausage, then added the spices, tomato sauce, okra, and broth and simmered for a while.

I made my first roux out of flour and oil; I suppose a roux is some sort of thickening agent to make everything tastier! Then I added the roux and my cubed chicken and simmered for another while. I served this over whatever rice I had lying around at the time, and I could not get enough of this dish. Unfortunately, there was so much and it was too filling to eat much at once that I had to throw a bowlful away because it had been in the fridge for wayyyy too long. The raccoons will eat well!

***

I don't have much else to say for today. I don't like to talk about current events in this blog because they are always too infuriating or sad, and those two emotions have no place in food. All I can say is that this shitty decade still isn't over til '11.....

No comments: