French Onion Soup & Cobb Salad



Woohoo! Soup and salad is my favorite!

This meal is pretty self-explanatory, so I won't go into too much detail about what's in these dishes. Lots o' onions 'n broth, and lots o' lettuce 'n bacon 'n eggs.

The homemade dressing (red wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard) for the Cobb salad was tangy and gave it quite a kick. On the other hand, my soup was pretty bland, even with half a can of pepper unloaded in there.

'Course, being a healthy cookbook, the recipe calls for fat-free, reduced-sodium [aka 'tasteless'] broth. I've used FF RS broth for everything else in this book so far, but it's usually just serves as a tasty, behind-the-scenes liquid for stew and things. In french onion soup, that's like the whole soup! Onions floating in beef broth. Next time, I might have to go for the full-sodium or fatty broth, or make my own!

If I knew more about spices [other than the names and where they can be found in the McCormick displays], I could have improved upon the soup greatly. I don't know much about what spices are used in what scenarios. Everyone knows tomato & basil and rosemary & chicken, but I can't usually take a dish and think, "Oh, X here would make a good taste". Once I rattle through my standby trifecta of black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder, I'm stuck.

I am looking at a book for Christmas that might help me though! More information about this later!

1 comment:

Tim Chaney said...

Where's the Cobb? LoL LoL

Just Kiddin', keep up the good work.