Tortellini Soup

Well, I've had a good weekend so far. I had an, erm, "conflict of interest" yesterday at work that put me in a crappy mood, but thankfully I have an awesome boss who quickly punished the offenders. And then I played Lego Harry Potter all night. Yay!

This morning, I woke up to breakfast in bed from Sean. Well, actually, I woke up too early on my own and ruined the surprise for myself. But it was still awesome and very sweet! <3 Now we are cleaning the house because my dad is coming over for dinner, which means I better hurry up and get out my leftover blogpost before tonight!

There isn't much to say about this soup except that it is completely awesome. You can't really go wrong with sausage or tortellini in just about any recipe, and this has been a perennial favorite in my house.

Here's the line-up!



Tortellini Soup

cooking spray
4-5 links Italian turkey sausage, crumbled (I think this means pull it out of the intestinal casing - and yes, I've just ruined sausage for you)
1 diced onion
1 T. red wine vinegar
1/2 T. basil
1/2 T. oregano
1 15-oz can low-sodium diced tomatoes (with juice)
5 3/4 cups of beef broth (or equivalent - I have been using cubes & water lately)
1 9-oz package of whole wheat three-cheese tortellini
salt + pepper

Coat a large soup pot with spray. Add sausage and onion and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is mostly brown.

Add vinegar and cook for a minute. Add basil and oregano and cook for a minute. Add tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add tortellini, salt and pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes, and then enjoy the best soup ever.

Voila!



Yep, I've already run out of pop culture references related to my dinners. Here's a Harry Potter trailer to watch. It's worth watching if you're a fan, because it's freaking amazing, and it's worth watching if you're not because you get to see Ralph Fiennes without a nose!




Recipe adapted from The Healthy Calendar!

4 comments:

afterthegoldrush said...

And it was a wonderful dinner! As was the company(Shadow included).

Bluezy said...

bookmarked the page so when I want to do some cooking around here. We joined the gym and going low carb.

I was a bit disappointed in Deadly Hollow part 1.

Bluezy said...

I am eating the Cucumber salad as I type. Yummy! Thanks. Everybody likes it except for the onion hater. More for us!
The pics did it for me. All your recipes look yummy.

afterthegoldrush said...

Bluezy,
My sister used to make a similar recipe many years ago. We referred to them as "Sissoni Cukes".