Sloppy Joes & Corn Salad, REDUX

Why is it no matter how long the time between two visits to the dentist, it always feels as if you were just there? I just came back and now I'm all in pain and cranky. Ah well, it's nice to have insurance again at least. On to the food!

This recipe is a repeat of an old entry that appeared a year ago. Since I'm doing the Healthy Calendar again, you guys are going to see some of the same foods from last year. It's not as bad as it sounds - I only did it for a few months last year, and at least this time I'll have some improved photos and actual ingredients/recipes instead of just a vague description of the picture! Either way, I'm sure no one has followed my blog enough to remember any of this stuff, but I'll post the old ones for my own nostalgia.

This ingredients shot is so crammed it looks like it should be on Awkward Family Photos Dot Com.


It reminds me of the time when my extended family decided it was a good idea to have a professional group photoshoot taken for my grandma for Christmas. It was a good idea in theory, but some (there's a good chance it was my mother, so I'll refrain from using the word "dumb" here) well-meaning family member decided we should all wear the same colors: tan tops and blue bottoms. Well first of all, not everyone looks good in those colors, and secondly, there are OVER 9000 shades of tan and blue, so naturally no one actually matched. Take that and combine 9 different versions of our family's Patented Fake Smile, and you have an awkward family photo!

Sloppy Joes
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 cup diced onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 T. mustard
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
salt + pepper
whole-wheat hamburger buns

Cook ground turkey over medium-high heat until mostly browned. Add onions and cook 3 minutes more or when they begin to turn clear. Add garlic and cook another minute.

Add everything else except the buns and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on buns!



Corn Salad
1 small bag of frozen corn, thawed
1 diced green bell pepper
1 diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 t. chopped fresh basil
1/4 balsamic vinegar
1 T. olive oil
salt + pepper

Toss together corn, peppers, onion, and basil in one medium bowl.

In another small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients to make the dressing, pour over the salad, and toss!



Here's a non-awkward family photo. Thanks to SLOPPY JOE, SLOP, SLOPPY JOE, YEAH!



We could not have Sloppy Joes without this song, that I was singing the entire time I was cooking!



Sadly, this was the best version I could find. But it's okay, 'cause everything's doin' fine down here in Lunch Lady Land.

Recipe adapted from The Healthy Calendar!

1 comment:

afterthegoldrush said...

Except your Dad, of course!