Jerk Chik'n & Garlic and Herb-Mashed Parsnips


All recipes are adapted from the Healthy Calendar.


This meal was an interesting experiment. It was my first time trying soy "chik'n" and my first time eating parsnips.

Actually, the chik'n itself wasn't bad, but I hated the sauce. I didn't even like Jamaican cuisine when I was in Jamaica, so I don't know why I went through with my bastardized version. It just was not worth all the ingredients and hassle, though I did have most of the spices.

Parsnips, like any root vegetable, are a healthier alternative to white potatoes; however, they tasted too floral for me.

Well, you'll be happy to know the asparagus I tacked on was awesome!

Jerk Chik'n

2 t. olive oil
2 T. shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
2 T. lime juice
2 T. lite soy sauce
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. dry mustard
1 t. dried thyme
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. black pepper
cooking spray
16 oz. of chik'n or boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1. Preheat oven to 375. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute until the shallots are translucent. Add habanero and saute one more minute.

2. Add the remaining ingredients except cooking spray and chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for five minutes. Place mixture in processor/blender (or use immersion blender) and puree until smooth.

3. Coat a medium glass or metal baking dish with spray. Place chicken in dish. Pour sauce over the chicken. Bake for 30 minutes or until done. At this point I'd like to note that I did not follow instructions. If you can tell by the picture, my chicken was pre-cut into strips, and you're supposed to keep the chicken breasts intact.

While you're waiting for the jerk chicken, you can make the parsnips!

Garlic and Herb-Mashed Parsnips

8 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
4 whole(SRSLY) garlic cloves, peeled
3 T. fat-free milk
1 t. parsley
1 t. tarragon
salt + pepper

1. Fill a large saucepan 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil. Add parsnips and garlic cloves. Boil for 10-15 minutes or until parsnips are soft. Drain.

2. In a medium bowl, add all ingredients and, with your preferred device, beat until pureed.

So, this recipe taught me a lesson. The lesson being: If you don't like chicken very much to begin with, meatless chicken is not going to be a good idea...

3 comments:

afterthegoldrush said...

You can't go wrong with asparagus!
And yes, you have to acquire a taste for parsnips. Fortunately, I never did!

Tim Chaney said...

Fantastic, everything looks great and I'm sure a pleasure to the palate.

We are getting close to fresh asparagus and strawberries in the near future.

That asparagus looks like it's cooked perfect the way I like it. Some people take fresh asparagus and cook it down to mush, they might as well just get it in the can!

Blog Editor said...

If you don't like your jerk, you can adjust it {him/her}. Go more lightly on the solid spices and substitute a lot of fresh lime/lemon juice instead-sometimes less is better. Outside of adding a tablespoon of butter/sour cream to things; this is one of the healthier suggestions I can give. Although I have some secret summer recipes I will be trying out that involve asparagus. Never smush asparagus..it just isn't right. Al dente..