Cantonese Chicken


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.


This was my second attempt at homemade Chinese food, and it was definitely not as good as my first.

This was not BAD, but it was pretty bland. I'm sure if you're more attuned to proper Chinese spicery, you might have a go!

First, spray a large skillet and cook up a pound of cubed chicken for about six minutes or until done. Remove from the pan and add a cup of chopped celery, a cup of sliced, drained water chestnuts, and a can of bean sprouts, drained. I'm sure at this point you're saying to me, "Hey, Stupid, where's the flavor?"...

While you stirfry this mixture for about 3 minutes, whisk together a can of chicken broth, a couple tablespoons of soy sauce and 1.5 tablespoons of cornstarch. Add this to the pan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for five minutes, then add back the chicken and some salt+pepper.

I served this over rice, to use up the rest of my white (devil) rice. You could also serve this over any type of rice or Chinese noodles.

As always, Sean liked the meal while I thought it was subpar. I ate half my plate, then ended up over cayenne+garlicpowder-ing, and throwing the rest away. If you know a better way to make Cantonese chicken (other than using full-flavor aka full-fat+sodium broth), or what spices would be complementary, let me know with a comment!

2 comments:

afterthegoldrush said...

What? No tiny ears of corn that taste like vomit!

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

I know, right? At least vomit would be a flavor.