Banana Chocolate Butterscotch Chip Bread


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

Here we see January's "Dessert of the Month" from the Healthy Calendar. This was so simple, even I could figure it out, and I suck at baking! With a donated loaf pan and some butterscotch chips (thanks, Grandma!), I was ready to rock!

First, combine about 4 bananas, MASHED(I can't stress this enough. I took mine directly out of the freezer and didn't mash them nearly enough, leaving giant banana pockets in my bread...), a couple tablespoons of canola oil, 1/4 cup buttermilk*, and four egg whites.

*Make your own buttermilk! Put a tablespoon of lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup, and pour enough milk (preferably 1 or 2%) in to reach the 1 Cup mark. Let sit for five minutes, and you have buttermilk!

Next, combine the dry ingredients! Mix 1.5 cups of flour, 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup sugar, a couple teaspoons of baking powder, one teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt.

The instructions say to next "make a well in the dry ingredients" before pouring in the liquid ingredients and mixing them. I've never quite understood the purpose of the well but I obliged them anyway!

Next, you're supposed to stir in 1/3 cup of mini-chocolate chips. I didn't have any, so I used my donated set of large-and-unwieldy-butterscotch chips. After you pour the batter into your loaf pan, sprinkle some more chips on top, and bake at 350 for about an hour!

1 comment:

afterthegoldrush said...

Butterscotch was a better choice to begin with.