Split Pea Soup


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

I'm not sure if there is a beautiful way to portray something as ugly and grade-school-rhyme-inducing as split pea soup, but the important thing is how it tastes! And it tasted great! I wish I had remembered the bread cubes in my pantry, as they would have made a great garnish; instead, I used a dash of oregano to make the food look not so goopy and not so radioactive.

One thing I liked about this dish was the economy of it. I used a cup of ham from the night before to round out this great soup. Just your basic ingredients: carrots, celery, garlic, peas[obv.], onion, broth, salt and pepper, all blended into the puree that you can enjoy no matter how many teeth you have! If you have teeth, you can add the diced ham as well.

This split pea soup recipe is very high in fiber and protein, each serving size weighing in at 12g and 18g, respectively. You need approximately twice those figures per day, and since the serving sizes listed are pretty small, you could easily get your daily requirement of each in the bowl pictured above.

This soup was also just more proof positive that I need to make more things with shallots. They are awesome, tasty, cute, and totally cheap! I paid only seven cents for one at the store! Not that you can make a meal out of it, but that still makes me happy.

And finally, I didn't realize it at the time, but I am totally awesome for putting green soup in a red bowl, as the colors are complementary.

No comments: