Matzo Ball Soup & Green Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette



All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

I made these on a night when I didn't feel like spending forever in the kitchen, and wanted something light and meatless. Turns out Matzo ball soup isn't the lightest thing ever, but I was very satisfied with this meal!

This was my first time having matzo ball soup, and it did not disappoint! It was also very easy, and economical regarding ingredients. First you whisk together some eggs, oil, and the Matzo mix, and refrigerate for a bit.

During this time, I sauteed an onion in my soup pot, then added some salt + pepper, parsley, and three cans of chicken broth and boiled.

When the Matzo batter was ready, I formed it into fourteen little slightly-smaller-than-golf-balls, dropped them into the boiling soup, and simmered for a while. It's great because the Matzo balls expand and soak up all the other flavors!

While the soup simmered, I prepared the salad. I didn't picture the salad with the dressing because I thought this photo taken before was just plain beautiful! The salad was made of mixed greens (pre-packaged), pine nuts, and mmmmmmmmmmm.........fresh raspberries. The dressing, added later, was white wine vinegar, pureed raspberries, olive oil, salt, and pepper. It was slightly cutting because of the vinegar, but squashing up the whole raspberries achieved the perfect flavor by fighting sour with sweet!

I seriously searched THREE different Giants before I found fresh raspberries, and it was well worth it, even at the astronomical cost this time of year. I also was treated with half a half a pint (no, not a typo) leftover to scarf down later. I can't stress enough how amazing fresh berries are, and I can't wait 'til the berries come back in season! (Except strawberries, the red-headed stepchild of the berries. Technically they are not really part of the berry family, but part of the rose family! A true berry has many seeds embedded on the inside! :O)

No comments: