Enchiladas!


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

Mmmmmm, these were certainly no Plaza Tapatia enchiladas, but they were simple, spicy, and awesome!! And they will have to do in a fix until I get some money and can get back to Plaza (OR until I can figure out how to duplicate their potato burritos and chile rellenos!).

I know the look of enchiladas is pretty non-descript, so I'll fill you in on what's going on here! For the filling, I cooked together a pound of ground turkey, a can of spicy fat-free refried beans, Mexican-style cheese, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.

After that, I steamed the whole-wheat tortillas (layered them in damp paper towels and microwaved for one minute), filled them with the meat mixture, and placed them - seam side down - in a baking dish.

I made a sauce that was probably the most predictable Mexican-style sauce ever - a combination of tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. It was tasty, but I don't think it was quite right as an attempt to copy your standard enchiladas sauce. Maybe it was too thick and too tomato-y. This arena not being my forte, I proceeded unabated. I dumped the sauce over the enchiladas, topped with more cheese, and popped them in the oven for about 25 minutes!

These enchiladas were incredibly spicy! I didn't realize how spicy the beans would be alone, and the red pepper flakes made them even more 'zingy'! Also, the sauce was spicy because I never correctly measure cayenne pepper, because as far as I'm concerned, the more the better. I personally loved these, but while he liked them initially, Sean is not as huge a fan of spicy food as me, so I was stuck eating the leftovers myself! Don't worry, I'll convert him! Especially because cayenne is probably the most amazing (and easily-obtainable) substance in the world for your health! I know I've probably raved about cayenne a million times so far on this blog, so I'll spare you another diatribe.

Buen appetito!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

This is my super trusty and simple enchilada sauce recipe from that same blog:

http://crepesofwrath.net/2008/12/04/vegetable-enchiladas/

1. First, make the sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 cup tomato paste and cook, whisking continuously, for about 1 minute.

2. Whisk in the vegetable broth and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and set aside.

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

Ooooooh, the broth must be the trick! Thanks!

afterthegoldrush said...

It looks like a lumpy cheese pizza.
I mean, a lumpy DELICIOUS cheese pizza!