Miniature Jaffa Cakes - Great British Baking Project

Hello readers!
I'm actually going to repost my repost with these Jaffa Cakes, and "assign" these to the Collection 4 Episode 1 Technical Challenge, and save the Showstoppers for later.



I'll return to do this challenge properly, but the original prompt for the first Showstopper Challenge was to make 36 miniature versions of a classic British cake.  I don't recall what compelled me to choose Jaffa Cakes.  The eventual champion of Season 1 also chose Jaffa Cakes, so maybe that inspired me, but I think more likely I was hoping the end result would taste like the Terry's Chocolate Orange I typically get at Christmastime.

See the source image
Spoiler alert: Expectation was nowhere close to Reality! They were supposed to be decent-sized chocolate covered orange cookies, but ended up like chocolate orange goop spread over Pogs.


Decent photo from when I still had hopes for a decent cookie.

Originally posted to Instagram:

Okay I am calling these my JafFAIL cakes instead of Jaffa Cakes!



I will chalk up this whole exercise to a learning experience, because these are a disaster 😆

The basic recipe is pretty easy: make cakes, make jello, and make chocolate sauce. I believe I underwhipped the eggs and sugar combo, which is why my “cakes” ended up as tiny sad discs instead of something a bit more substantial. I also put the chocolate on too early and hot, which is why these are a hot mess.

This was my first time working with chocolate, so give me a break okay? On the bright side, my Jello game is on point and we had bonus jello left over!

These tasted all right, but the orange and chocolate combo isn’t good enough to warrant making these again.

Not so yum!
M

No comments: