8.10.17 - Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

Note:  Content reposted from other blog to minimize my internet footprint

Nothing huge to update you all on today, but it has been a month since I started this blog, and right now, I feel like I am going in reverse! 

While I know I am making progress to pay down my debts in the long term, my new method of usage with my Discover IT card makes me feel like I am making no progress whatsoever in the day-to-day.  I put all the bills that I could on it, and also utilized it recently during a friend's visit to take advantage of the quarterly cashback bonus on restaurants.  Currently, my balance is higher than ever, but I know that next week I will not only pay all that off and then an additional $80 "minimum," but I will also have a nice little chunk of free change from the cashback.

I'm embarrassed to post a higher balance than when I started, but the whole point of this blog is to keep myself honest!  My full credit debt and full debt total are still down from the beginning, so that is a victory.  I think I just need a little patience for things to even out and show true progress.  Rome wasn't built in a day!

I am officially canceling my gym membership today, because that is almost $200 a month that I could put to better use.  The actual membership is only $25/month, but I have been paying $160/month for a personal trainer for the past six months.  I have now found out I'm "contracted" for a full year of training, when I was under the impression I was only contracted for six months.  I have decided to go with the nuclear option, and quit the entire gym.  According to the internet heroes who came before me, this might prove to be an odyssey, so I will keep you all posted on what happens!

Does anyone use Mint?  If so, please let me know the purpose.  So far, I have gotten a bunch of unnecessary alarmist emails about how I have been charged "fees" (read: actual known charges I've made) on my bank card, and need to review my account.  Several of the accounts I have linked are bugged as well.  Maybe it isn't for me, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!  What do you use Mint for?

I have managed to buy lunch no more than once a week since I started this blog, which means I have far surpassed my goal of not spending more than $10/day on lunch!  Pretty proud of that, considering how nuts I have gone in the past several years.


I will catch you all next week!
M

No comments: