Hot Gingered Apple Cider



I know it's only mid-September, but as far as I'm concerned, cider season starts as soon as it gets below 70 for more than two straight days! Bring on the hot dranks!

This entry will be short and sweet just like the recipe. Nothing is easier than this! You only need a few things, and if you aren't like me and actually keep stock on healthy things, you might already have them all in your pantry.

Note: this does not include alcohol, so you're on your own for hard cider!

Ingredients

16 whole cloves
4 apples, quartered
2 quarts (== 8 cups, 1/2 gallon) apple cider
1 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped

First things first, get yourself a reliable kitchen helper.


He specializes in tripping the lead chef, and getting hair in absolutely everything.

Second, push 1 clove into each apple segment.

In a soup pot, combine everything and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.

Serve hot with an apple chunk in each mug!




There's no picture of mugged cider, because I was too busy burning my tongue trying to drink this immediately.

Recipe adapted from The Rodale Whole Foods Cookbook.

7 comments:

afterthegoldrush said...

I'm thinking Braeburn or Honey Crisp.

Anonymous said...

I think your helper looks more like he is the one in charge! As he yells get it done!!! Love, Mom

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

Lol! Yeah he usually is! :p

afterthegoldrush said...

Oh, Mom, why don't you just get your own blogger i.d.?

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

Because she likes to stay off the radar! Or probably doesn't know how to get on the radar in the first place!

afterthegoldrush said...

And TTF!, you never did answer my apple summation. Now, I get to add Fuji or Gala.

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

Oh, I assumed you were offering a suggestion on the best apples to use!

They are Jonamac apples!