Fire And Rain

I always liked this song, but tonight I heard a heartbreaking story that gave it a new meaning to me. Apparently, I never paid as much attention to the lyrics as I should, because it never seemed as sad as it did tonight!

I was driving home from class and the only station without a commercial was the easy listening channel. It was playing one of those "touchy-feely" shows that plays romantic or soft-rock songs for callers with sad, funny, or happy tales of love, family, and the like. It's been around at least 15 years now, but I don't know if it's national or not.

Anyway, I tuned in to a caller telling a story of a woman he had known and loved for his entire life (I placed him between 35-50). They had been childhood friends and were inseparable and he described her as his "first crush, first kiss, first love". She moved away in their teen years and they each married other people and had kids, but had kept in contact for the past twenty years.

He sounded so happy talking about her, and at this point, I was expecting him to bust out with a sweet story of how they had both divorced and ended up together again after all these years.

Instead, he revealed that she suddenly died yesterday of a severe asthma attack.

I actually started to tear up. Not only is unexpected death a heightened possibility I face every day with the one I love, this was the first time I'd ever heard the host get choked up on air. (Yes, I listen to this froofy stuff more often then I'd care to admit.) She said she would play a song for him, and "Fire and Rain" was the pick.

I can't imagine a more appropriate song. I just hope I never have to call her with a similar story.

1 comment:

afterthegoldrush said...

This is the best post that I have ever read on your blog. Hopefully, there will be a few more like it sprinkled in among your recipes.

"Music is what feelings sound like".

Dad