Chicken and Noodles


All recipes are part of the Healthy Calendar adventure!.

This recipe marks the last recipe in the book (excluding the December Dessert Cake from Christmas)! I've reached the end!!!

Luckily, I started over at the front with the January recipes! Haw haw, gave you all a scare there I bet...

Anyway, I felt this chicken and noodle dish was pretty lackluster. Sean really loved it though, so maybe it was just me.

It turned out to be like a homemade chicken noodle stew, of which I am not a fan. Let me clarify: I love Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup to death (bisphenol-A and all), but I've always shied away from the homemade version.

A big part of this is that the homemade soup is usually made with meat from a roaster chicken, which means you have to watch out for bones and gristle, because even the most meticulous chef won't get it all. I don't like to have to concentrate on not choking to death or cracking a tooth while I eat, so I solved this problem by baking boneless chicken breasts to use in this.

Another problem that befell me was the noodle situation! This recipe calls for "kluski-style noodles" and the book describes them as a "dense, egg-style noodle that looks like really fat pasta". All the research I've done on these noodles implies to me that these are actually the noodles in the Campbell's soup. Unfortunately, Giant does not carry this product, and if they don't carry it, I'm not even going to attempt anywhere else in this one-horse town. I ended up using whole-wheat egg noodles instead. Maybe a certain CHEF IN TOWN (hint hint) can educate me on this matter.

If you feel the need to recreate this boring dish, go buy yourself some Campbell's Chicken Noodle. But seriously, you boil the noodles and some parsley in chicken broth and water, stir in some flour and water and simmer, and then add your (COOKED) chicken and salt. It's very simple! I have nothing more to say about this!

In other news, I am starting my nutrition class tomorrow night! Wish me luck!

No comments: