You Are What You Eat

I turn down a new road in my life. I am rebuffing the art life [at least career-wise] and choosing a more noble path. No, I haven't been 'saved' by any religious figures yet; I'm hoping to perhaps save a few lives myself - perhaps even those closest to me.

I want to become a nutritionist. I have always been interested in this field and for some reason did not realize until now that spending a quarter of my internet downtime reading about it was perhaps a sign!

In this country of over-stressed, over-medicated, over-fed, under-exercised troglodytes, nutrition really takes a backseat. Better eating habits could help or even prevent "society's problem"s.

First of all, I'm sick of childhood obesity being blamed on VIDEO GAMES and TV. Sure, kids are more sedentary today because of higher crime rates [my rant on "Stranger Danger" shall be saved for another day], but when they turn off the XBox, what are they eating for dinner? Probably some processed or fried meat, too much starch and not enough vegetables. Or unhealthy takeout.

"I'm tired and it's quick?" Well, it takes like 10 minutes to prepare a salad. And zero time to substitute healthy alternatives into your diet. So many parents are uninformed about nutrition that it is scary. I'm just so sick of child obesity being placed on the scapegoat of video games. Also, since the advent of the Wii, which almost EVERY KID HAS, the argument is hardly even valid anymore.

****Side Note: A study has recently shown a correlation between bad nutrition and violent or criminal activity in young men. JUST SAYING. Apparently video games don't cause THAT either.****

Next, I bet you can name at least five people off the top of your head that you know with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, or other obesity-related disorders[whether they are skinny or not!]. Maybe you are one. The numbers are growing steadily, and while some people just get unlucky, the best way to avoid becoming a statistic is to eat healthier and hopefully engage in some light activity regularly. I wish healthcare providers would teach these people how to control or lessen their problem with foods that are known to regulate these disorders, instead of just prescribing them some medication to hurry and get them out of the office so they can see the next patient. Did you know that cayenne pepper works instantly to lower blood pressure and won't give you inconvenient side effects like seizures, stroke or sexual dysfunction?

***I did not mention type 1 diabetes above since there is no real prevention to the disease; however, a healthy diet is extremely important in their lives. Some type 1s have been able to regulate their blood sugar levels through diet, exercise, and supplements without the use of prescribed insulin, which is extremely admirable!***

If, through healthy eating, more people started working to prevent health problems in themselves and their families, perhaps the healthcare system in this country would be much better. More medically needy people could get care, and perhaps the providers could spend more time with their patients, instead of assessing the situation for a few minutes and prescribing the quick-fix drug.

I didn't want to get started on cancer, but I will. Everyone knows someone with or has lost someone to cancer. The rates are rising. What in the world can be causing so many problems in so many peoples' bodies on a cellular level?? Obviously, some cancers [i.e. melanoma or lung] can be blamed on known factors, but...seriously. I know there are a lot of fumes flying around today, which certainly can't help, but I have a strong suspicion that it is all this crap they are putting in food nowadays. All the preservatives and additives can not be good for our bodies. It blows my mind.

Okay, I'm done ranting, I hope. I was planning for this entry to be an introduction to the new and amazing cookbook I'm using in my house, but I think I'll save that for tomorrow!

I hope one day I can educate new parents and/or young people about proper nutrition.

No comments: