Barbeque Shrimp over Wild Rice



Here's the first meal of November out of the new book: Homemade BBQ sauce with pre-cooked shrimp over Uncle Ben's long-grain and wild rice mix!

It was a snap to make, only around half an hour with most of that time waiting for the rice to cook. The most time-consuming part of making the sauce was removing all the spice bottles' safety covers. After that, it was a matter of heating up the shrimp in the sauce and throwing it all together!

Though I followed the recipe to the "T", I ended up with a ton more sauce than I feel I should have. Sean and I downed the entire recipe [except about a cup's worth - lunch today!] and only used probably a quarter of the sauce. Neither of us are huge fan's of BBQ; maybe real BBQ connoisseurs would have drowned the food in it? It was also a surprisingly thin sauce, but I have no real complaints in that arena.

Overall, I thought the dish was very tasty, especially since I always look for an excuse to eat shrimp! Shrimp got a bad rap back in the day for being high in cholesterol, but it's actually been proven to LOWER triglyceride levels! It's also rich in omega-3 fats, vitamin B12, niacin, and essential minerals.

6 comments:

swampcritter2 said...

Looks good, but where's the recipe? Also,if I so much as think of Uncle Ben's rice my wife would divorce me. She half-japanese and that of course makes her a sticky rice junkie.
I can get away with using basmati rice occasionally (my personal favorite) and arborio providing I'm making risotto. Konriko's pecan rice would be good with a recipe like this, although it's pricey.
I've got a very decent recipe for BBQ shrimp served over grits, however I usually serve it with pasta. It's made with a reduction of wine and the shrimp shells, with Cajun seasoning. It's strained and heavy cream mellows it out. Not for the timid, but so good.

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

I'm not listing the recipe because I think if I list every recipe in the book, it's probably considered plagiarism, lol.

Your recipe sounds great though!

afterthegoldrush said...

That sounds yummy, critter!(your's too, ttf).

Tim Chaney said...

Don't forget though that shellfish is high in cholesterol but low in fat.

Tim Chaney said...

I'm one to talk LoL I like my BBQ shrimp, jumbos wrapped in bacon like a kabob. Artery clogger it is!

Twirling Towards Freedom said...

Shrimp is high in cholesterol, but does not raise our cholesterol, so yay! Unless of course, you soak it in a pound of fat! :P